Creative Connections

IB English's Portal to Imaginative Meaning
Creative Connections

Telescreen vs Red Social

TELESCREEN VS RED SOCIAL 

At first when earing Telescreen nothing really came up to my mind; however, after knowing what it really meant plenty of things came up. For example, how can people live their lives knowing that they are constantly watch by someone, and that someone out their knew exactly what they were thinking, or even knew what their next step will be.  How can they live?

Having NO INDEPENDENCE NOR FREEDOM at all!!

Nevertheless, reading through George Orwell’s words concerning Telescreen it reminded me of  “Red Social”. “Red Social” is the new social media launched in Cuba a few months back this web page allows people in Cuba to post any kind of information, and share it with there friends in CUBA ONLY!!!

THE WEB SITE IS FOR CUBA RESIDENTS ONLY!

Also all the information posted is monitored, and intervenedby the Cuban government. Putting aside that Cuba, is a communist nation, falls perfectly into the situation that the characters in 1984 were in.

They both are given the idea that they have  “freedom” and “independence”, when in reality they are just little puppets of the government. For the Cubans, after years of having no freedom of speech at all, is a great step foward to have this new social network that will help improve their freedom of speech….  Still all posts on “Red Social”,  are monitored by the government. While George Orwell’s characters have the freedom to do what they want, yet they know that every step they take someone will know.

I believe that the author described “Telescreen” as a way of escaping the own Telescreen he was on.

Telescreen made me think of how lucky we are for not having any of these limitations. We are free to yell, free to be happy, free to leave if we want, to  and sometimes when needed free to curse if WE WANT TO!

We are FREE!

FREE